-Gardening and Horticulture
Opinion
-Crime and Punishment
-Religion
Psychedelics Discussion
Random
Advice
X-Mystery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place To Chat

HomeSearchLatest imagesLog inSite IndexRegister

philosophical inquiry

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
query
Anonymous

philosophical inquiry  Empty
PostSubject: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

i pose a question to you all, at what point does philosophical inquiry become insane rambling?
example, Socrates was thought to be insane by a large portion of people in his society. but now today we use his practices in teaching and politics.
Back to top Go down
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 11:57 pm

I think by the very nature of philosophy your question is moot. i mean philosophy is dedicated to the pursuit knowledge by any means. time and time again people have been labeled as insane because of their radical view, only to find out later that their view has changed the course of life as we know it. eg Galileo or Eisenstein or socrates. If it wasn't for the unhindered pursuit of knowledge where would be? a racist, conservative society bond to rigorous thought processes. as long as one is able to construct a cogent argument with a means of justification and proof, i believe it qualifies as philosophical inquiry.
Back to top Go down
https://xmystery.forumotion.com
Kipper the Skip

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Until you reach some dedicated truths by a special method of cognition. That method dictated by the philosopher, of course. Think Descartes and his inquiry into the cogito, or Leibniz and his account of the subject's complete notion. This is just dipping our toes in an epistemological ocean, of course.

Free will? or will we ever be free...
Back to top Go down
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

lol kipper, you kinda confused me, wanna clarify?
Back to top Go down
Kipper the Skip

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 am

Well Descartes said I think, I am. (or the common misinterpretation, I think, therefore I am). How did he reach that conclusion? Only by following his reasoning in the Second Meditations of Philosophy (the book where he comes up with that argument) can we clearly and distinctly understand the truth he was trying to arrive at. Thus we have arrived at a truth though a specific form of reasoning guided by our fellow philosophers.

and insane ramblings in philosophy? ask any of the Medieval era philosophers and you will get your fair share of crazy.
Back to top Go down
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 am

I believe it is possible to arrive at and understand the conclusions if there is a clear and distinct premise as well as a logical methodology. as per medieval philosophers, you mean someone like peter damian, or more like thomas aquinas?
Back to top Go down
lemonlime

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm

read some duns scotus and you'll know about medieval ramblings
Back to top Go down
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Hey lemonlime, sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been reviewing some of his work, you mean this guy right
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/duns-scotus/

Some of his work does seem a bit peculiar but i still would not regard this as insane ramblings, He makes cogent arguments about metaphysics and semi logical arguments for epistemology.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: philosophical inquiry    philosophical inquiry  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

philosophical inquiry
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
X-Mystery :: Art&Intellect :: Philosophy-
Jump to: