-Gardening and Horticulture
Opinion
-Crime and Punishment
-Religion
Psychedelics Discussion
Random
Advice
X-Mystery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place To Chat

HomeSearchLatest imagesLog inSite IndexRegister

So you think you live in the land of the free?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

So you think you live in the land of the free? Empty
PostSubject: So you think you live in the land of the free?   So you think you live in the land of the free? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am

A professor provided me with some clarity in regards to this issue this morning and i think its pretty interesting.

In america, and around the world really; they are known as the "land of the free" but after close examination of their legal system it should become apparent to almost anyone that this is contrary to the truth. In the western hemisphere, and all western "developed" countries Americans have more criminalized behavior than in other part of the western world. So in reality the are living in the land of the criminalized. The only area of freedom which the government hasn't taken total control over is the economy. And realistically this is the only area of freedom americans have.

Now people can bust out some Hobbes, or locke in an attempt to defend this over criminalization but the government's legislative branch is supposed to represent the needs and wishes of the people. Clearly this is not the case when you have the highest number of incarcerated citizens in the western world. When this happens society is supposed to realize the folly of the government, but people are so distracted attempting to pay the debt or stay out of jail they are not even aware of the on going power struggle taking place on the battle ground of society.

Don't be pawn, or even or knight, walk off the board and play your own game.
Back to top Go down
https://xmystery.forumotion.com
Beach.One
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So you think you live in the land of the free?   So you think you live in the land of the free? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Hm.

Do we necessarily have "more criminalized behavior" than any other part of the world? Or do we just have higher population densities, and therefore more criminals.

One could refute me by noting other countries with higher population densities, but a lower crime rate.

I would say all these other countries have more "social solidarity". In other words, the population tends to be relatively of the same culture or race, and therefore have more group solidarity. For example, cities like Hong Kong or Moscow.

That being said, what's different about the U.S is it's a melting pot of hundreds of different ethnicities, cultures, etc... In a city \ where the only thing stringing you together is the city your in, you're bound to be less fond of the people next to you on the train.

Back to top Go down
Beach.One
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So you think you live in the land of the free?   So you think you live in the land of the free? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:56 pm

However, I am not arguing that we DO live in the land of the free. I was simply pointing out what could be a faulty premise for the argument.

No, we do not live in the land of the free, because yes we are born into this "system". In our case, the capitalist system where profit > all.

But I believe that a system that protects us from being arbitrarily robbed and killed is very desired, and almost necessary.

It just so happens that this is the system humanity created. It's far from perfect, legitimacy doesn't have to mean perfection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you think you live in the land of the free?   So you think you live in the land of the free? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So you think you live in the land of the free?
Page 1 of 1