-Gardening and Horticulture
Opinion
-Crime and Punishment
-Religion
Psychedelics Discussion
Random
Advice
X-Mystery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place To Chat

HomeSearchLatest imagesLog inSite IndexRegister

Bill c-10- One step closer to america?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
X-Mystery
Admin
X-Mystery

Bill c-10- One step closer to america? Empty
PostSubject: Bill c-10- One step closer to america?   Bill c-10- One step closer to america? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For any of you legal buffs out there, im sure you will know what this is about. So the conservative government is now trying/ about to pass a bill that will totally change the structure of society. One of the primary things the bill will change is the youth criminal justice act. Young offenders can be charged as adults now, the definition for violent crime has been broadened to encompass anything that can harm society? WTF does that even mean? it means now they can make you a violent offender for doing some of the most minuscule crimes. Violent offenders have the hardest time applying for pardons, and if they are in court again their sentence will be more harsh.

Essentially this is the most blatant display of the "new penology"in canadian society. Recently we've all seen the implementation of new penological legislation in america but up till now it has not really made much of an affect on canadian law. But now Harper sits in ottawa with the ability to pass virtually any legislation he want. Thats what a majority government in canada allows you to do. Frankly this upsets me, and it should upset you. If you or your brothers or sister or even children, happen to slip up and make one mistake, this bill makes the possibility of becoming a "valuable" citizen almost impossible.

"Under Bill C-10, prison officials will have more latitude to disregard prisoners’ human rights, bypassing the least restrictive means to enforce discipline. This means inmates are more likely to re-enter society as predators hardened by their prison experience" (toronto star)

The legal system is sticky mess of legislation representing the competing attempts of dominant forces trying to control society (YOU). Do not allow these forces to rule your life, we are people, equal and free. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] That is the definition of democracy does that sound like our political system to you?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
https://xmystery.forumotion.com
Beach.One
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bill c-10- One step closer to america?   Bill c-10- One step closer to america? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 am

Good find X Mystery. This is pretty big.

1) Youths can be convicted as adults if this law passes. The usual justification for convicting youths as adults is the severity of the crime. But why should severity matter if it's a youth? The fact is, there is separate law (Young Offenders Act, Juvenile Dilinquence Act), for youths because they are too young to make fully rational decisions. We convict them separately in the hopes of rehabilitating them and, more importantly, giving them a better shot at a pardon so that they can find good jobs while they are young.

2) If passed, this law broadens the scope of "violent crime". Is this really necessary? Although the law most certainly must deter violent crimes, this broadened scope only seeks to target LESSER violent crimes. In other words, the broader scope is only going to put away more small-time violent offenders, for the MORE violent offenders are put away with ease. (This is because, for a MORE violent offense, there is no question that it is a violent crime.)

3) "Under Bill C-10, prison officials will have more latitude to disregard prisoners’ human rights, bypassing the least restrictive means to enforce discipline. This means inmates are more likely to re-enter society as predators hardened by their prison experience" (toronto star)
- Granting more discretion to prison officials is a delegation of judicial power from the LAW to the PEOPLE. This is heavily warned against by the fathers of modern day democracy, Plato and Aristotle. They strictly argue that the LAW should be rigid so that it is not subject to interpretation by officials, for they are inherently human and imperfect, and leaving too much to interpretation subjects the law to human whims and passions. In order to ensure that the LAW fulfills its purpose of PROTECTING us (not PUNISHING us), its restrictions and rules must be clearly defined.
- Bill C-10 blurs the line of human rights and lets the prison officials interpret the line on their own. Doing so essentially removes the line entirely. It is as if the line of human rights was drawn in marker, and Bill C-10 replaces is it with a line in pencil, and gives the pencil and an eraser to the prison guard.
Back to top Go down
Extracto

Extracto

PostSubject: Re: Bill c-10- One step closer to america?   Bill c-10- One step closer to america? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Personally, I disagree with pretty much everything this Bill has to offer, I've done some additional research on the passing of Bill other then what's posted on this page. Well here's what I think. It's really twisted how the Government are soo Thick Headed that they don't realize that the youth, younger generation, are labeled as so - for a reason; they are not adults. with this being said, it's fair to say that they DO NOT have the same ability, judgement, and rationalization skills as an adult. The body and mind is a state of growth, for instance, if a 15 year old makes a bad decision, with regards to the law, today, chances are 3-4 years from now there maturity level will allow them to make a better decision. In most cases atleast. If the Government are so keen on passing this Bill. They should at most bring it down to the age of 16, although that's still quite steep.

There's plenty of factors that I diskile about the Bill, Although, here's something that I don't particularity agree with, I just feel neutral towards it.

"Under Bill C-10, prison officials will have more latitude to disregard prisoners’ human rights, bypassing the least restrictive means to enforce discipline. This means inmates are more likely to re-enter society as predators hardened by their prison experience" (toronto star)

This really sucks for inmates who've committed not so serious crimes that unfortunately wounded them up in jail. But, Businesses should be aware of who they're employing, not everyone necessarily learns from there mistakes. And if a prisoner gets pardoned who's to say that that they've changed. I don't want to sound like a prick but it's the undeniable truth. For instance, I have a very close friend that lives in Dallas, and in the midst of this conversation he told me that a survey was conducted in 2010 in the state of Dallas, and its results proved that 18.4% of prisoners restored back to old habits in order to generate money. This number has now gone down to 16%, I believe, however, this is still a substantial number when dealing with Violence and crime. And It most certainly effects the safety of the community. So yea maybe this section of the Bill retaliates against Plato and Aristotle's thoughts. And maybe it's unfair for all inmates to be treated this way. But! I kind of see a fraction of good in it. Keep in mind that I'm trying to be as open minded as I possibly can, I just want there to be something I can be neutral about with regards to the Bill, because I certainly hate everything else about it.

Open the Third Eye

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bill c-10- One step closer to america?   Bill c-10- One step closer to america? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bill c-10- One step closer to america?
Page 1 of 1